This document explains how to fix Microsoft Outlook error 0x80040900 if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating, launching/opening, performing action like sending or receiving emails, configuring emails etc.
The error message may look like
-An unknown error occurred ,error code ox80040900
– send/receive could not connect to POP mail server
– 0x80040900- server name cannot be found on network
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Outlook:
Microsoft Office (2013/365/2016)
Error InformationError Descripton
Error 0x80040900 Outlook Overview
Total Incidents Recorded
Issues Resolved (Percentage)
Also Known as
Outlook fehler code 0x80040900, foutcode 0x80040900, fejlkode 0x80040900, code d’erreur 0x80040900, codice di errore 0x80040900, feil kode 0x80040900, cod de eroare 0x80040900, código de error 0x80040900
0x80040900 Error Code Log
Avg. Time to Resolve Issue
Microsoft Outlook <version> 9.65
Faulting Application Name: Microsoft Outlook <Application name>, version: 5.9.7404.60761, time stamp: 0×55013596
Faulting module name: Outlook event.dll, version: 8.9.8589.51496
Junk files location is infected with active malware
Steps to resolve Outlook Error Code 0x80040900
Step 1: Check for system corruption:
1. Press Windows Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Enter CMD and Press OK.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and press Ctrl+C and press Ctrl+V in command prompt)
The system will take some time to check. Let it run for a while. If it finds any issues in “operating system” integrity it will automatically fix it.
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on CMD button and select “Run as Administrator”
1. In Start Search box type “Firewall.cpl” (without quotes)
2. Click on Windows Firewall.
3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”
4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.
6. Press OK. Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
In most cases Outlook error 0x80040900 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.
You can chat one-on-one with one of our Outlook Support Representative 24/7 by clicking on the Chat button.