This document explains how to fix Microsoft Windows error code 7342 or 0x00007342 if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating or upgrading Windows.
The error message may look like: – Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
– Some updates were not installed. Failed: 11 updates Error(s) found: Code 7342 Windows update encountered an unknown error.
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Windows:
Faulting module name: Windows error.dll, version: 6.0.6107.88436
Exception code: 0xe08f696c
Fault offset: 0xa01g404e
Faulting process ID: 0×638
Faulting application start time: 0x800e4e22979573
Faulting application path: ~<userpath>
Faulting module path: ~C:\Windows\System32
Report ID: b7d16a96-1284-71e8-4334-9364dcg5g227
Also Known as
fehler code 7342, foutcode 7342, fejlkode 7342, code d’erreur 7342, codice di errore 7342, feil kode 7342, cod de eroare 7342, código de error 7342
Cause of 7342 Windows Update Error Code
Internet connectivity issue
Temporary Internet files location is infected with active threat
How to Resolve Windows Error 7342
Step 1: Disable any installed Antivirus/Malware/Adware Program Temporarily:
Some times Antivirus/Malware/Adware programs mark Microsoft Windows installer files as Spam and block it from installing. Please refer your vendors website for disabling it temporarily. Once installation is done you can activate it again.
Step 2:Check Windows Firewall Settings :
1. Hold Windows Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Enter Firewall.cpl and Press OK.
3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”
4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.
6. Press OK. Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
In most cases MicrosoftWindows update error 7342 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.
You can chat one-on-one with one of our Microsoft Certified Support Representative 24/7 by clicking on the Chat button.