This document explains how to fix Microsoft Windows error code 80073718 or 0x80073718 if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating or upgrading Windows.
The error message may look like:
– Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
– Some updated were not installed. Failed: 58 updates – KB2797687,
Error(s) found: Code 80073718 Windows update encountered an unknown error.
– Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2820330)
– Windows could not check for updates automatically
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Windows:
Step 1: Verify Windows Firewall Settings
1. Hold Windows Key + R and Enter Firewall.cpl
2. Press OK.
3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”
4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.
6. Press OK.
Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
Step 2: Check Proxy Settings
1. In Start Searchbox type “CMD” (without qoutes)
2. Click on CMD.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and press ctrl+c and press ctrl+v in command prompt)
netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on CMD button and select “Run as Administrator”
If you get the message “Direct Access (no proxy server)“, continue to the next step otherwise disable proxy from Network Settings.
You can contact our 24×7 Live support for any help during the whole process.
In most cases Microsoft Windows update error 80073718 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.
admin April 13th, 2016
Posted In: Microsoft Windows